What To Expect During Your Consultation
- Detailed analysis of your dietary and nutritional intake.
- Detailed health and family case history.
- A strategy for optimal health which links your symptoms to nutritional imbalances and provides support and encouragement to change diet and lifestyle. Clinical EFT, or “Tapping”, an evidence-based tool, may be incorporated by mutual consent to facilitate the clearing of negative emotions, beliefs, thoughts and memories in order to support positive lifestyle and nutritional modifications.
- Action Plan – personalised advice for diet and lifestyle changes which may incorporate EFT tools.
- Supplement Programme – details of any recommended nutritional supplements, if required.
- The recommendation of non-invasive clinical tests if required, to help ascertain any suspected underlying conditions.
Prior To Your Visit
Prior to your appointment, you will be asked to complete a questionnaire covering past medical history, family health, current health issues, diet (including a 3 day food diary) and lifestyle. I ask clients to return it to me 3 days prior to their visit as I analyse it in advance so that I can build a picture of your health profile and plan how to best support you in reaching your goals.
The health questionnaire will be discussed at your first visit, which lasts an hour and helps build a comprehensive picture of your health, as well as establishing a working relationship that is collaborative and understanding.
Wherever possible, it will be explained to you how your current symptoms may be related to your food choices, lifestyle and personal circumstances to help clarify areas requiring adjustment. A recommendation may also be made to incorporate Clinical EFT into visits. The assessment and discussion may also lead to a recommendation for referral to a licensed physician, or other healthcare professional. Together we will agree on practical and realistic modifications to produce an individualised dietary, lifestyle and if appropriate, nutritional supplement programme that you feel positive about and is within your comfort zone.
A follow-up visit is normally scheduled 2-6 weeks after the initial consultation, in order to monitor progress, further motivate you, address any other concerns, and review and adjust your programme. For most people, 2 to 4 consultations are usually sufficient, although this can vary according to individual needs and circumstances.
Supplements are never the main focus of the consultation, but may be used to support dietary modifications. This is because sometimes food alone may not be sufficient to provide all the nutrients your body needs in optimal quantities to significantly impact on health concerns. Therefore, supplements may be recommended on a short-term basis to support your nutritional programme.
Occasionally, non-invasive tests (such as temperature, saliva, urine, stool etc) are recommended if the underlying causes of your health concerns are not immediately apparent or several possibilities exist. Where laboratory testing is recommended, most tests can be carried out in the convenience of your own home and then returned to the laboratory for analysis.
Private Health Insurance
CNHC registered Nutritional Therapists like myself are recognised for reimbursement for Nutritional Therapy with a number of private health plan providers such as Health Shield, and Westfield Health. Please check with your individual provider.